Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My trip to Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington, DC

Hello All,


Welcome to my first post! Yaaa! I'm so excited to finally be blogging. Anyway, so my name is Tek, and I'm an extraordinary girl from the great state of Maryland! I enjoy getting out on the weekends, and going to some new and exciting places around the DMV and beyond. One weekend, I thought to myself, I am going to get up and go too Ben's Chili Bowl. I had heard so much about their award winning chili, and never experienced it myself. I love history, and the history of this long standing restaurant was amazing. According to the Bens Chili Bowl official website,

"In 1958, newlyweds Ben and Virginia Ali used $5,000 to begin renovating a building at 1213 U Street.  Built in 1910, it first housed a silent movie house called the Minnehaha Theater.  Later, Harry Beckley, one of D.C.’s first Black police detectives, converted it into a pool hall. From the tumult of the late 60’s race riots to the tough times in the 70’s and 80’s and finally to the revitalization of the U Street Corridor beginning in the 90’s, Ben’s has seen it all.  Bill Cosby and thousands of others attended our 45th anniversary in August 2003. A just ten days before his inauguration on January 10, 2009, President-Elect Barack Obama visited and ate lunch here ". www.benschilibowl.com

Pres. Obama, has eaten here as well as a host of other celebrities so, I just had, to eat here and experience the food! So, I did! It is easily accessible via the DC metro system. The place was packed, I mean club packed! The food was awesome! Not very healthy, but a wonderful guilty pleasure. They also ship there famous chili worldwide! So, if you craving some wonderful chili, you can get your fix, by ordering online at their website. The only downfall is that they only accept cash, but not to worry, they have graciously provided an ATM. All in all, I had a great experience. Here are some pictures of the restaurant.

My View of Bens Chili Bowl!



Some of the tasty "smokes" at Bens Chili Bowl

 


Bill Cosby At Bens Chili Bowl. Photo Source: Bens Chili Bowl


President Obama being served at Bens Chili Bowl. Photo Source: Washington Post



8 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I've never been here, but I have heard a lot of positive comments about the place. Makes me wanna travel to see what all the hype is over lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we will go there together hopefully one day. the food is great but as I said it get really crowded at peak times. but id def go again.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, I'll definitely be stopping by there soon. What's the price range? Where to next??? M. Powell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the food is great! The price range is round $8-15 bucks depending on what you order. I got the chili cheese fries for around $8 but I couldn't eat the whole thing..they give nice sized portions!

      Delete
  3. Well the inauguration with the investigations sitting on the blue top.. ugh I forgot where I was going wif this.....hmmmm ohhhh yeah well done my little big sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to eat here next time I'm. In town!

    ReplyDelete