Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fun at the Maryland Half Marathon

Hello All,

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending my first marathon! I am starting to get more into running, it is a great outlet to reduce stress, get your blood pumping, and to stay healthy. Running isn't for everyone, and I am definately not a professional, it is just something I enjoy doing. So, I have been thinking about running in a marathon, and then I thought to myself, "who am I kidding, 26 miles of running...YIKES!" It can be done, obviously millions of people run in marathons every year. However, I want to start small, but still feel accomplished, so I have been considering running a half marathon which is 13.1 miles. This brings me to my next adventure...The Maryland Half Marathon.

The Maryland Half Marathon is associated with the University of Maryland and benefits the Marlene and Stewart Greenbaum Cancer Center. The money that is raised for the marathon is used to fund cancer research at this center. I lost my mother to breast cancer in 2004, so legit organizations such as the Univ of MD, that aid in cancer research, has my support. This year the their goal was to raise $500,000, however, they raised $177, 648.99 which is still great. (www.mdhalfmarathon.com)

The half marathon took place in beautiful Howard County, MD. It ended in the Maple Lawn Community in Fulton, MD. It was raining on and of on Saturday, May 11, 2013, but that did not damper the spirits of the runners. It was amazing to see young and old, and many different ethnicities running together in support of cancer research. It warmed my heart, and I definately want to be a part of it next year. If I can run 13.1 miles, I'll definately knock my running portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test out the water! We run two miles which is timed for that.

There was a festival that took place during and after the run. They had a host of vendors and things for the children to do as well. The kids had face painting, a jumping castle, and a Kids Fun Run as well. With plenty to do, this is a great way to spend time with the family, while staying healthy. The DJ was great, playing line dance songs such as "Wobble", "Cupid Shuffle", and more to keep the crowd interactive and entertained. Although, it was rainy, you could never tell because everyone was smiling and seemed to be in good spirits. I definately enjoyed myself, and would encourage anyone who wants to, to join it next year.

Running for a Good Cause
Took place in Howard County, MD


Benefits the Univ. of MD Marlene and Stewart Breenbaum Cancer Center

 
 
 
 


Maryland Half Marathon 13.1 miles
   THANKS FOR READING!!!

-Tek

2 comments:

  1. Now that's something I'd love to do....but I'd proli pass out from lack of oxygen!!! But seriously this is a great cause and hope u have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like fun..but with hardwork and dedication and course a air mask you can do it..lol

      -tek

      Delete