Friday, May 10, 2013

Busboy and Poets- DC

Hello To Everyone,


Thanks for coming to my blog! Last month, April, was my month long celebration of my birthday. I turned...20something..*eckem*. Anyway, this year for my birthday, I went to a very nice restaurant called Busboy and Poets in Washington, DC. Every Wednesday night at the BB&P on 5th and K, they have open mic night which the event I attended for my birthday.

Busboy and Poets is a very wonderful restaurant chain. They have four locations in the DMV area...
  1. 5th and K- Washington DC
  2. 14th and V- Washington DC
  3. Hyattsville
  4. Shirlington ( a community in Arlington near the Shirley highway)
The name Busboy and Poets comes from the poet Langston Hughes, who worked as a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel in the 1920s, prior to gaining recognition as a poet (www.busboysandpoets.com). We all know how great of a poet Langston Hughes was, and so this restaurant pays tribute to his legacy. Busboy and poets caters to all types of artists no matter their color, religion, ethnicity or creed. This restuarant is unique in that it is a "community resource for artists, activists, writers, thinkers and dreamers".
The atmosphere of the restaurant was pleasant. I walked in and observed bright, smiling faces, of the people who were eating there, so it made me feel relaxed. In every Busboy and Poets restaurant, you can books to read while there or for purchase. They also, have hosts of information about community events in the arts such as poetry slams, spoken word, musical gigs, and the like. The night I went, they had a featured guest Poet from St. Louis, Missouri. He was very talented and great at interacting with the crowd. While I was there enjoying the sounds of poetry, spoken word, comedy, and even singing, I order some food off of their fabulous menu. OMG!!! I had the best blackened fish sandwich ever! It was like fish on a bun of heaven...Oh it was sooo good! I also, ordered a Malibu Bay Breeze as a drink, and it was tasty as well.

The entertainment was interesting but good, the food was wonderful, the venue was appealing, so I'd definately go again. I have also, visited the BB&P in Hyattsville, and I enjoyed that one as well. The one in Hyattsville, has a larger event room than the one on 5th and K, and is always packed when I visit. I enjoyed both restaurants and plan on patronizing them again!

Here are some pics of my trip to Busboy and Poets at 5th and K in DC!

 Front view of Busboy and Poets



Some of the art work and books you can view/read while at the restaurant





Interesting piece of art that sits outside of the restaurant

 


No comments:

Post a Comment